BT volunteers win support for community groups in the South West
Grants of up to £500 awarded to local groups
BT is rewarding organisations and community groups across the South West with grants of up to £500.
The grants are being awarded through the company’s employee recognition scheme, the BT People Awards, which were launched last year. The scheme acknowledges BT’s volunteering heroes, who offer their time and skills to help people in their local community, by providing grants to organisations in which they are involved.
Twelve groups in the South West have received grants to enable them to continue their excellent work in the community, including: Berry Hill Juniors Football Club, The Gloucester Primary Schools Football Association, the 37th Kingswood Cadets, Lechlade Memorial Hall and Playing Grounds Trust, Old Redcliffians RFC (Brislington) and Meningitis Research Foundation in Thornbury. A full list of the winning groups is below.
Jon Reynolds, BT’s South West regional director, said: “The People Awards highlight the time and commitment that BT people are giving to their communities and provide a great opportunity to reward the community group or charity for which they volunteer.”
Joe McDavid, a BT Human Resources director, said: “BT has a long history of working with good causes to help improve lives. Together with our employees, we have a record of fundraising and support for our local community groups that we can be proud of. It’s also wonderful to see so many BT people using their professional skills to support such a diverse mix of community organisations and charities. We see volunteering as a two-way benefit as there are many development opportunities when new skills are brought back into the workplace. Some of these experiences can only be gained by playing such an active role in the local community.”
Two hundred and twenty four applications were received for the first round of grants this year and 174 applicants received awards totalling £50,000.
Applications were submitted by BT people from all over the world including Switzerland and Malaysia. These included a wide range of community organisations, from a children’s theatre to a pipe band illustrating the wide variety of activities BT people are involved with.
NOTE TO EDITORS:
The South West winners are:
• Old Redcliffians RFC, Brislington, BS4 5LU £200
• 37th Kingswood Cadets, Bristol, BS15 1XH £200
• Dave Sharp Young Musicians Charity, Kingsbridge, TQ7 1JG £200
• Alphington Community Village Hall, Exeter, EX2 8UP £500
• Barton Cricket Club, Torquay, TQ2 8NY £200
• Three Churches Fete, Lower Ansty, DT2 7PX £200
• Meningitis Research Foundation, Thornbury, BS35 2BS £200
• Gloucester Primary Schools' Football Association, Gloucester, GL2 0UF £500
• Berry Hill Juniors Football Club, Coleford, GL16 7QT £200
• The Lime Kiln Carnival Club, Bridgwater, TA6 5JT £200
• Somerset County Scouts, Taunton, TA1 4AS £200
• Lechlade Memorial Hall and Playing Grounds Trust, Lechlade, GL7 3AY £200