Ronan Keating, The Vamps, Dawn O'Porter and Harry Judd design BT MyDonate Christmas E-Cards
Twelve celebrities have shown they are in the festive spirit by designing or supporting their very own MyDonate Christmas e-cards
RONAN KEATING, THE VAMPS, DAWN O’PORTER AND HARRY JUDD DESIGN BT MYDONATE CHRISTMAS E-CARDS
Twelve celebrities have shown they are in the festive spirit by designing or supporting their very own MyDonate Christmas e-cards for charities including Cancer Research UK, NSPCC, Movember Foundation, and Help for Heroes.
Stars such as Sir Michael Parkinson and Nick Grimshaw, England rugby star Austin Healey and top-ten boyband The Vamps are among those participating this Christmas to help people in need.
Throughout December people can choose one of the fifteen charity e-cards from bt.com/christmascards.After making a minimum donation of £2 via BT MyDonate, the not-for-profit, online fundraising platform, people will receive an email with a link to download their e-card.The e-card can then be shared with family and friends via email or social media.
The designs include a comedy drumming Santa, festive Christmas trees, a beautiful animal snow scene and even a rugby-playing Christmas robin.
Boyband The Vamps have put down their microphones and donned their best Christmas jumpers to pose for an exclusive photograph for the front of their Christmas card to support the NSPCC.
They said: “Having a wonderful childhood is so important but unfortunately not everyone gets this.We've been lucky enough to help the NSPCC raise more money this Christmas through the BT MyDonate Christmas card campaign."
Ronan Keating is no stranger to chart topping hits, but is hoping his festive design will be one of the popular choices on the MyDonate site this December. Ronan is supporting Cancer Research UK with his hand drawn design of a snowman and colourful Christmas tree.
If you prefer something a little more sporty, former British number one tennis player, Anne Keothavong has teamed up with The Supporters Club which aims to help disadvantaged young people through sport. She said, “I’ve drawn my MyDonate Christmas card for The Supporters Club which is a fantastic charity that brings people together through sport.MyDonate doesn’t take commission so making a donation and downloading the charity Christmas cards really does make a difference.”
Rugby World Cup winner Ben Kay, Tom Fletcher and Harry Judd from McFly, JP from Made in Chelsea and TV star Dawn O’Porter are also among the 12 celebrities, sporting stars and authors to design cards to raise money for good causes.
John Petter, chief executive of BT Consumer, said: “We are so pleased that celebrities have given up their time free of charge and pulled out all the creative stops to get people donating to some really worthy causes this Christmas.
“These e-cards mean that people know they have given some money to those who need it most this Christmas. We hope people will have fun choosing their favourite celebrity MyDonate Christmas card design and sharing it with friends and family.”
The trend of donating to charity instead of sending Christmas cards is growing in popularity, and ensures customers’ money goes to a good cause. Recent research from consumer group Which? shows that some retailers hand over as little as 10p from packs of charity Christmas cards on sale in store. All of the donations from these celebrity-designed charity e-cards will go directly to charity (apart from the 15p debit card or 1.3% credit card fee).
For more information visit: bt.com/christmascards
Notes to editors
Charities and talent involved with quotes:
- Ronan Keating for Cancer Research UK: “Christmas is about being with those we love, and spreading a bit of festive cheer. I’ve been an ambassador for Cancer Research UK for many years, and jumped at the chance to be part of the BT MyDonate Christmas card campaign – it’s a great way to make a donation and get a card which you can share with all of your friends and family.”
- Tom Fletcher for Cancer Research UK: “I’m honoured to be able to support Cancer Research UK with my Christmas card design. I hope everyone who receives it enjoys it and thanks to anyone who sends it for supporting a fantastic cause. Merry Christmas all round!”
- Austin Healey for the Dallaglio Foundation: “I’ve drawn my BT MyDonate Christmas card for the Dallaglio Foundation because I’m taking part in their Cycle slam next year which will be quite a challenge.Please download my card, it’s for a great charity and using MyDonate really does make a difference.”
- Ben Kay for Help for Heroes: “Everybody knows that the most exciting thing about Christmas is when Father Christmas pays you a visit. My card shows Santa and Rudolph dashing through the forest. Whether you have been naughty or nice this year, please help raise money for Help for Heroes by choosing my card through the BT MyDonate Christmas campaign.”
- Dawn O’Porter for Help Refugees: “I'm so proud to be taking part in the BT MyDonate Christmas card campaign and I really hope I can spread a bit of love with my design! Christmas is a time of great joy but also deep sadness for many. Join me in choosing love and let's raise lots of money so that Help Refugees UK can continue to help the people who need it most!”
- Sir Michael Parkinson for the Lord’s Taverners: “Christmas is always a special time of year.Your donation through this Christmas card and through BT MyDonate will go to a charity that’s also very close to my heart – the Lord’s Taverners. They enable young people from disadvantaged backgrounds and those with disabilities to enjoy sport: it’s such a worthwhile cause.”
- Harry Judd for the Lord’s Taverners: "I love Christmas, who doesn’t?! Hopefully everyone will want to spread some festive cheer with my BT MyDonate Christmas card! Your donation to buy this card through the MyDonate site will go to help more disadvantaged or disabled kids enjoy sport through the Lord’s Taverners charity."
- James Haskell for Movember Foundation: "My BT MyDonate Christmas card brings the traditional snowman into the 21st century with his very own mo. Choose my card this Christmas to help men live happier, healthier and longer lives. MyDonate doesn’t take any commission from your donation, it’s a simple decision."
- The Vamps for the NSPCC: “Having a wonderful childhood is so important but unfortunately not everyone gets this.We've been lucky enough to help the NSPCC raise more money this Christmas through the BT MyDonate Christmas card campaign."
- Naomi Howarth, Author and Illustrator for Place2Be: “'My Christmas card has been designed for Place2Be- an amazing charity that provides emotional support to children and adolescents within schools. BT MyDonate is a fantastic way to give to Place2Be - it doesn't take commission so more of your donation can help those vulnerable young people.”
- Saracens Rugby Team for Saracens Sport Foundation: “The team had great fun drawing our Santa vs Snowman Christmas MyDonate card for Saracens Sport Foundation!The money raised from our card will help the 70,000 people the Foundation engages with annually- go on donate to our card” Jamie George
- Harley Inns, Supporter of SSAFA: “I love Christmas because there are loads of fun things to do and I can spend all my time with my family and friends. SSAFA have looked after me and my family and when I’m at the support groups I get to make things and draw pictures to remember my brother. I really enjoyed drawing my snowman for the SSAFA Christmas card to say thank you for the help they give me. I can’t wait to share it with my friends. I even made sure the snowman is wearing a SSAFA coloured scarf!”
- Anne Keothavong for The Supporters Club: “I’m really glad that I could take part in the BT MyDonate Christmas Card campaign.I’ve drawn my MyDonate Christmas card for The Supporters Club which is a fantastic charity that brings people together through sport.MyDonate doesn’t take commission so making a donation and downloading the charity Christmas cards really does make a difference. I hope you like my card and donate to The Supporters Club!”
- JP, Made in Chelsea for YoungMinds: “I'm extremely proud to be taking part in the BT MyDonate Christmas card campaign this Christmas. Whilst Christmas is a time of joy and happiness, we must still remember those in need. Join me in helping those in need and help raise lots of money so that YoungMinds can continue to help their amazing work.”
About BT MyDonate
MyDonate is a not-for-profit, online fundraising service for UK charities. BT MyDonate does not charge any commission fee, subscription fee or registration fee. The only charge made against your donation is the credit/debit card charge from the bank. (1.3% of donation on credit cards and 15p for each debit card transaction).
The service provides a secure, easy-to-use way for millions of people to raise money for the charity of their choice. BT MyDonate does not earn any interest on the money donated to a charity. Charities receive the money that has been donated weekly.
BT invests at least one per cent of its corporate pre-tax profits in the community and environment every year. At the end of March 2013, BT’s investment in society amounted to just over £27m over the previous 12 months - a combination of direct funding and in-kind support. This equates to 1.12% of our pre-tax profits.